Sunday, February 16, 2014
Tweedy Owl to Pink Bunny
I started with the pattern that made Stomper's Owl Hat and wound up with a cute little Bunny Hat for Our Sweetie.
The first noticeable mods I made were to knit it flat in garter stitch and omit the ear flaps. I have found that attempting to tie anything under her double chin is impossible and not worth the effort. Instead of ear flaps I knit five rows of rib. In retrospect I should have knit it from the bottom up, but hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it? Here is the list of mods I made if you too want to make your little one a Bunny Hat like Our Sweeties.
1. Knit in garter stitch either by knitting it flat or in the round by knitting one row and purling the next for the same length as given in the pattern.
2. Knit a 1x1 rib in one needle size smaller than you use for the garter and knit it for five rows (either knit the rib first or last, but do not include the rib when you measure for the inches to knit)
3. Omit the ear flaps.
Ears: (The ears in Tumble Bunnies was my inspiration)
This is where I get a little tricky.
1. Fold hat in half.
2. On either side --both front and back -- slip six stitches on to waste yarn for 12 stitches total on each side.
3. Stitch hat closed.
4. [Use US Size 4 DPN] With hat flat split the six stitches on the left hand side in the middle, the slip the right hand three on to one needle (needle #1) and the left hand three onto another (needle #2). Slip the next three stitches from the back six on to the right hand needle (needle #1) and the other three to the left hand needle (needle #2) Totally confused? Your needles should be going across the hat forming a T at the very end.
5. With needles parallel get ready to start you ear.
6. Knit the first stitch off the needle closest to you (needle #1) then the first stitch off needle #2. [The object here is to close the hole]. Continue to knit a stitch off needle #1 and then needle #2 until all 12 stitches are on one needle.
7. Start the Ear Pattern
Ear Pattern (use US Size 4 needle)
Knit across 12 stitches
Row 1: sl1, k1, kfb, knit to last three stitches, kfb, k2 sts (14 stitches)
Row 2: Repeat Row 1 (16 stitches)
Knit until Ear is 2.5 inches long (or desired length)
*sl1, k1, k2tog, knit to end* repeat this row until 4 stitches remain
cut yarn leaving 6inch tail, thread unto needle and run needle through last two stitches and pull tight. Tie knot, fray ends of yarn and trim to desired length. [I tied a knot by making one end a loop so that I wound up with three ends]
Sew bottom sides of ear together.
Make eyes as explained in hat pattern and turn beak upside down to make a nose. Or get lazy and cut them out of felt like I did.
Questions? Feel free to ask!
I cannot take full credit for this pattern. I married two patterns to get this hat. Edit April 2004 The link to the original Little Bo...
The day before the snow storm my parents, my siblings, my husband, my son, and I were sitting around the table eating piz...
How is the pregnancy going? Good. I am adjusting to the changes. I have hit the "offical" halfway mark of 21 weeks. Accordi...