Friday, January 13, 2012

Ketchup Cookies





The day before the snow storm my parents, my siblings, my husband, my son, and I were sitting around the table eating pizza, hot dogs, and other leftovers when Jason picked up the ketchup bottle and studied the back for some time. Curious, I picked up the ketchup bottle and read these words "Tic Tac Toe Cookies". I thought to myself, "How strange to have a recipe on the back of the bottle. Usually when a company puts a recipe on their package it's to use their product." I read the ingredients of the the cookies and there, right before 1 egg and just after brown sugar were the words 1/4 Cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup. "Oh," I said, "we are so making these tomorrow with the daycare kids."

That is just what we did during Thursday's snow storm. After the kiddos came in from the snowy cold we gathered at the island and whipped up a batch.

The cookies received two sideways thumbs, but one of the kiddos did eat two, so they were at least yummy enough for a second helping. I have to agree with them, the cookies don't taste awful, but they aren't that great either. There is peanut-butter in them so that is what you mostly taste, but there is this faint taste of something--else.

Ketchup Cookies (from the back of Heinz)

Preheat oven to 375

Mix together and then set aside:
1 1/2 Cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream with electric mixer:
3/4 Cup Peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 Cup softened butter or marg
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup brown sugar packed

Add In:
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1 Egg

Mix in the flour mixture

Drop by tablespoon on to baking sheets.
With floured fork make a # over the top of each cookie.
Bake for 8-10 mins or until tops are slightly browned.

Startle your friends when you say: "Like them? I put ketchup in them"
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Weird! haha - you're brave! I don't think I could defile perfectly good cookies with ketchup... =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, they are so strange. The kids really got a kick out of putting ketchup in them. Also, it is great fun telling someone who has a full mouth of cookie.."The secret ingredient is ketchup!" lol ... too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...