Thursday, January 12, 2012

Muffins


Recently mini-muffins have become a staple in our house. I'm not sure which came first the Pampered Chef Mini-Muffin Tin or the desire, but it is good to have both on hand. I make a batch a week and by the end of the week they are gone. I often give Stomper two (one for each hand) first thing in the morning while I am getting a diaper and other necessities ready for him, so I wanted them to be healthy. Also, I wanted to use what I usually have on hand.


The following recipe is an adaption of one that my Mom found for me on-line (I don't know from who). It uses baby cereal and baby food so it is great for using up any leftovers. I noticed that these muffins don't crumble which is great when I give them to Stomper in the car. I gave some to church on Sunday that were made using banana, sweet potato, and carob chip and they were gobbled up in a flash! Since they get all the flavor from the baby food the possibilities are quite endless. I have added cranberries and carob chips to mine, and I intend on using shredded zucchini in the next batch. If you use a fresh banana I suggest using just one as the banana comes through quite strong even when diluted with other fruits. I have made them with and without sugar and there is no taste difference.

Happy Baking!


Baby Food Muffins

ingredients:

Dry:
1 Cup of Flour
3/4 Cup of Baby Cereal
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 - 1/3 Cup sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit you are using

Wet:
2 4oz jars of Stage 2 baby food
or 8oz/1 Cup of pureed fruit/sweet vegetable
or 1 mashed banana PLUS enough of pureed fruit ti equal 1 Cup
2 Tbs milk
3 Eggs 

Extra:
1/4 Cup carob chips, chocolate chips, nuts, shredded zucchini, or dried fruit (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 400. Spray mini-muffin tin with oil
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Add wet ingredients and stir. Mixture may be lumpy if you used mashed bananas
4. Stir in the Extras if any
5. Fill muffin tin with all the batter. There should be just enough batter to make 2 dozen mini muffins. The batter will be rounded up a bit, which is fine. The muffins don't raise or spread very much, so it is all right if they are a little full.
6. Cook for 8-10 mins until tops are slightly browned.
7. Remove from tin and cool on a rack.


Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...