Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Socks, Super Bowl, and Soaking Up New Knowledge

During my sprint to get the hat done I got a little lost and frustrated, and had begun to hate knitting. I was having some major issues with the yarn I was using and the gauge I kept achieving. After a needle change, two and a half rip outs, and some fast decreases I finally ironed out the kinks. However, an inch into the pattern my mind turned to mush and I found my self dreading the black and red yarn.

I decided that I needed a little break. I put the hat down and picked up some size 4 needles, the rest of the yarn I found at Marden's for $.99, and knit my boy up a pair of socks for Valentines Day. They knit up super fast. It was nice to settle into something mindless and enjoyable for a few hours. I hope that they will fit him through to next winter, they have quite a bit of stretch to them so I am optimistic.

Super Bowl Sunday, with one sock finished and hours of couch time ahead of me, I picked up the hat and commenced to knitting. I was very happy that I was surrounded by family because they were able to watch "Stomper" so that I could buckle down and just knit.

I was able to knit and knit and knit and by the time half time rolled around I had gone as far as I could without my DPN's on the wonderfully despicable hat. I happily set the hat back in my knitting bag and picked up needles and yarn to start (and nearly finish) the second sock, all before the end of the game!

My next project leaping on to my needles is a commissioned project from one of my brothers friends. He wrote to me on Facebook: "Do you think you could knit me up this hat?" To which I responded: "You mean like the one Jayne wore on Firefly, sure, I can do that for you."

I jumped headfirst into Raverly and typed in "Jayne's Hat" hoping that someone had come before me and had written the pattern. To my surprised (and really why should I be surprised?) there were 44 matches for my request! After sifting though several different versions I came upon this one from Keiyla. Lo and Behold it even has a new cast on (Twisted German) for me to try; I am so very excited!

If all goes according to plan and "Stomper" cooperates with me I get to cast on for the hat tomorrow. Also tomorrow I hope to snap a few more pictures of the completed Plaid Flannel Hunters Hat and send it off to the people who wished to give it a test for me.

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...