Jason and I had a bad parenting moment while we were away over New Years. We had a break down in communication. We stayed in an apartment away from most of the noise while at the Mountain Retreat. I was taking a nap on the 31st while Stomper napped in the next room. Jason thought I had the baby monitor on, I thought he was in the next room and could hear Stomper when he woke up. We were both wrong. I woke up to Stomper crying so I got up and went into his room.
The room smelled strongly of menthol and as I opened the door he dropped a tube on the floor. I assumed it was toothpaste. I demanded, "What are you doing?" He answered, "Eat toothpaste." He had it all over his hands, feet, and face so I took him into the bathroom to clean him up. I reminded him that we only put food in our mouths and went back into the room to get the tube, reciting the number to poison control in my head as I went. I picked up the tube and read the label: Icy/Hot.
The lady from poison control was helpful and calm. She told me that since I didn't now know for certain how much he had eaten that we should go to the ER to have his aspirin levels checked.
After about two hours in a hospital room it was determined that Stomper's aspirin levels were ZERO. We all breathed a sigh of relief. We had a lot of fun in our room. Papa played with the gloves and we used Stomper's LeapPad2 to take videos, photos, and make a cartoon. We ended the evening by taking Stomper out to KFC, just to round out our day of bad parenting.
I was trying to remember the other times I've called Poison Control for this son of mine. The only other time I could remember was when he put a used Clorox Toilet Scrubber in his mouth (he had fished it out of the trash). Is it bad that I have the number to Poison Control memorized?