I decided on top-down because I had recently knit another sweater that way and it was familiar. I choose raglan sleeves because that would mean no seaming and only a few stitches to pick up when I started the sleeves. I thumbed through some books and scrolled through some websites and found two simple lace patterns that I could modify for my purposes.
I picked out some worsted weight yarn out of my stash, knit a gauge swatch, found some basic sweater measurements in a book I had, did a bit of math, and started. After I finished the increases for the sleeves and had them on waste yarn I decided that it was time to start the lace.
Presto, Change-O, Al-a-Kazam and I had knit a sweater. It went rather quickly and I am glad to be able to share it with you. In the coming months I hope to re-gauge it for a lighter weight yarn, test knit Eleanor, and release it all to you for a small fee.
I have removed this pattern from Ravelry as quite a few mistakes have been pointed out to me and I do not have time at the moment to correct them. I hope to have the pattern up and running again sometime in February of 2013. Many thanks to all the knitters who found the mistakes!
Unfortunately I have not returned to pattern writing. I haven't rewritten this pattern, I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.