|about half of last years relish|
I am going to open our swap to anything you have preserved in 2011 including but not limited to:
1) Whatever you share needs to be packaged and ready to be tossed back into the freezer or put on the shelf.
2) Bring 10-12 of each item you wish to swap with (10 jars of jam, 10 gallon bags of pears) PLUS one to open for tasting --if you item is frozen please prepare a thawed batch for tasting
3) If your item is unique or not usually preserved (I am thinking of my Mom's frozen pears) please type or neatly write a recipie on how to use it
4) Label your items with your name, what the item is, and what month and year it was preserved
5) And this one is obvious --preserve with care we don't want anyone sick!
I hope to plan the swap for mid-September or mid-October depending on how well the canning goes. I think for the swap I will bring something pickled and maybe something sweet or frozen? Not sure yet I have tons of time to think and dream.
This is what I hope to preserve this fall some canned some frozen:
pear butter ?
pear sauce (frzn)
apple sauce (frzn)
tomato sauce (frzn)
shredded zuccini (frzn)
shredded summer squash (frzn)
sugar snap peas (frzn)
(frzn) = frozen
Also in addition to my own small stash of relish I am making gallons for my cousin, yes gallons. I sent him a quart of relish about a month ago. I saw him at a wedding reception this past week-end:
cousin: "That relish you made tasted just like Grandmas."
me: "Good. It is her recipie, I'm glad you like it."
cousin: "Can you make me more this summer? I'll pay you."
me: "I still have a some you can have it."
cousin: "Well, I want a lot of it."
me: "How much is a lot?"
cousin: "Well, I could eat a jar a week." --I'm not sure if he meant a quart or a pint a week
me: "I'll plant more tomatoes just for you."
my husband: "How about you buy two things of jars one for us and one for you?"
cousin: "Sounds good."
I cannot wait to see some growth in the garden!