Saturday, May 14, 2011

Visions of Summer

Today Jason went to church for Men's Breakfast and I asked him if he'd stop by the Farmers Union and pick up some seeds on his way home. Some of the things we are planting this year are new to us (since we've only been gardening for a year) and so I thought we'd just get a few seeds if they'd let us. Like a dozen. Well, the smallest increment they sell seeds is an ounce. We are going to have a bigger garden than anticipated! Most of the seeds will last more than one season, but a few we have to plant this year. Due to our ever enlarging garden we are going to have a separate plot just for the squashes and pumpkins.

red onions, carrots, beets, parsnips, sugar snap peas, mammoth sunflower, garlic, red and russet potato

Unfortunately the very ancient rototiller will not cooperate. It is broken down. The good thing is that we did not purchase the rototiller (it was a hand-me-down gift from Jason's Great-Grandfather) so any money we put into it is not a big deal, it's cheaper to fix what you own than to buy something new. Our big plan to plant this week-end looks like it's not going to happen. However, we do have access to another tiller if ours will not get up and running. Jason took some vacation time next week so I think at the very latest we will plant the Monday before memorial day.

I think I'm going to need to start the peas inside on Monday since everyone keeps telling me they need to get in the ground like a week a go. Hopefully I am not too late.
Jason tinkering on the tillers carborator


I am so excited, more excited than I would have been even two years ago about having a garden. Two years ago I would have rolled my eyes at the prospect of happily growing my own veggies. Two years ago I would have simply gone to the store for the convenience of having the store do all the work. Like with cloth diapering; experience and knowledge have changed my point of view.

I cloth diaper because it is better for my son, for the environment, and for my wallet. I garden because it is better for my family, the environment, my wallet, and my peace of mind. I grow my own so I know that the people harvesting were paid a good wage, that the veggies were cleaned properly, and that the veggies were not over burdened with harmful chemicals.

I have this glorious yummy vision of this summer going down to the garden and picking out spinach, peas, cucumbers, peppers, green beans, carrots, and tomatoes to make the most delicious salad. Not hopping in my car and driving to the nearest grocery store, or even walking there, not paying anyone for my food, not wondering if the food is safe, just picking and eating.

Then in the fall picking/uprooting beets and carrots to can, potatoes of various colors to store, beets and cucumbers to pickle, squashes to freeze and/or store in our root cellar, and lots of yummy goodness all winter long. All without leaving my home!



Oops

 Yesterday I was able to get my hands a little dirty in my flower garden. I am reclaiming some lawn for some prettiness. Last year I transplanted hosta and oriental iris some from other places in my yard, some from my mom. I didn't think it would come up, I was certain that I killed them all. Not to worry, they are up! I spent about an hour digging up clumps of lawn and throwing them into the bushes. In my zeal to claim some lawn for myself I broke my trowel I got for Mothers Day! It is a good thing that my MIL gave me two because many people have offered clumps of their fuller plants and so I look forward to transplanting and digging soon.


Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...