Monday, May 2, 2011

Epiphany

Tomato Forest
2010
Jason took me away this week-end and driving through the country side and sitting on top of Mount Battie gave us a more broader view of our world. We lamented how some of the "old ways" are lost, the slower ways, the quieter ways, the quality of time.

Last year we had a modest garden that got a little lost in the shuffle with the birth of our son (see this post for an explanation) but this year we want to do better. We want to have more variety (not a tomato forest), do better at harvesting, improve our canning/freezing/storing, and spend more time tending to our little plot of land.

There was some discussion on possibly adding a chicken or two, some for eggs some for meat, and a small little desire for a milk goat. The goal is to live more off our own half acre of paradise and less off the store, and to eat and live more healthy.

We are planning on planting: 
  • 5 Roma Tomato Plants
  • 5 Slicing Tomato Plants
  • 2 Cherry Tomato Plants
  • 3 Zucchini
  • 3 Summer Squash 
  • 4 Green Beans
  • 6 Green Peppers
  • 20 Red Potatoes
  • 20 Russet Potatoes
  • 6 Sweet Potatoes (maybe)
  • 6 Onions
  • Carrots
  • Parsnips
  • Garlic
  • 4 Cabbage
  • 4 Spinach
  • 6 Cucumbers
  • Beets
  • Broccoli (maybe)
  • Edible Pea Pod Peas
  • Herbs: basil, bay, mint, rosemary (I have to look into these)
  • Pumpkins
  • Squash (Acorn & Butternut)

Today Stomper and I went outside to the garden to take a look at things. We found lots of little blue flowers flox/flocks (--spelling?) is what I think they are called. The daffodils are also coming up which makes me very happy. This year when they die back I'm going to move them over to the dying apple tree where some other stuff I planted last year is hopefully getting ready to grow.

I found some Rhubarb sprouting up, and also some weeds. So, while Owen ate dirt and leaves I dug around and uprooted some unwanted greenery. I think that Owen is going to be a big help in the garden this year.

I found a worm and thought about showing it to him, but changed my mind. If you would like to see more pictures of Stomper playing in the dirt check out my facebook link (you don't need an account to look).







Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...