Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fun with Leftovers: Mock Stroganoff



Two days ago I put a frozen roast in the crock pot with some Worcestershire sauce, a chopped up onion, and a generous amount of garlic powder. I turned it on before 7:30am and for a few hours I left it on high until the roast completely thawed and started cooking. Then I turned it down to low and didn't eat it until 6pm that night. It made a very yummy supper. The leftover meat and the broth were put in separate containers and placed in the fridge.

A few days later I was in need of a quick lunch so I opened up the fridge. I pulled out the broth, the beef, and some macaroni noodles and stared at them for a few moments. I knew I had a quick meal, but what was it? First I poured a bit of the broth into a pan, got it hot, and added flour. I am not a gravy maker, at least not with out better preparation. I threw the clumpy mess down the drain and tried again. I chopped up the beef, poured the rest of the broth in the pan, added the beef to it, and brought it up to a simmer. Then I dumped in the noodles sprinkled on some grated Parmesan cheese and let that simmer for a few moments. Finally I took some slices of american cheese and laid those on top of everything, shut the heat off, and put a cover on. A few moments later, when the cheese was melted, I stirred it and served it.

Wow! Yummy! The kids ate it all up and so did my parents. I am definitely putting this in my back pocket for later. Here is a rough recipe for you to follow (you may need to adjust some of the amounts) give it a try and tell me what you think.

Mock Stroganoff (Rough Recipe)

Ingred:
2/3 Cup chopped cooked roast
1 Cup cooked macaroni noddles
1 Cup beef broth from cooking a roast
2-4 Tbs parm cheese (to taste)
2-4 slices american or other mild cheese (to taste)

1. Heat broth and beef in a pan until juices are boiling. Toss in macaroni noodles and simmer for a moment.
2. Sprinkle parm cheese over top and simmer for a few moments
3. Spread slices over mixture, turn off heat, cover with lid, and let it rest while the cheese melts.
4. Stir in cheese and serve




Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...