Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pineapple Preserve




The canning stuff has been out in the kitchen, due to Maple Syrup (don't forget to enter the contest!), and so when I saw the two pineapples languishing on the counter I couldn't just let them go to waste! Spring time isn't when I usually can, but why not? I would much rather spend a little extra time and effort to can than throw out food.

I didn't have a recipe or my canning book at our new residence, but thankfully the internet is always close  by. I googled canning pineapple preserves and found this recipe. I think the original recipe used already canned pineapple, like you would buy in the store, so I put mine in a food processor. I processed it a little too much and there aren't enough chunks for a thick preserve. I added 2 tsp of  ginger to give it a bit of flavor, but next time I'll do more to give it a stronger ginger flavor. I will use the preserves as a marinade or maybe in some muffins (or on top). It is really sweet, almost too sweet.

Pineapple-Ginger Preserves
yield: 3 pints 

5 Cups Crushed Pineapple with juices- approx 2 whole pineapples 
4 Cups white sugar
2 - 4 tsp ground ginger 

1. Bring pineapple, sugar, and ginger to a boil in a saucepan. Keep at a temperature of at least 200 and cook for 20mins. Stir often to keep from sticking. 

2. Pour hot preserves into hot jars and put in a hot water bath for 5 mins (check here for canning advice). Cover with towel while it cools to prevent drafts.

Uses:
marinade-pour 1.5 Cups over pork or chicken and allow to sit in fridge for several hours. Grill, crock-pot, or bake meat until done and serve with the remaining 1/2 Cup marinade on the side.
muffins-add 1/2 Cup to your favorite muffin recipe (here is one of mine)
appetizer-serve next to crackers for a little something different at your next party



Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...